If you are a content writer or anyone dealing with the content of a webpage, we highly recommend that you should know the basics of search engine optimization methods to work content for your webpages.
As you know, website is a place where you market your products and services online and it’s a challenge for you to meet the demands of readers and search engines. Unless you optimize the content for search engines, you will be missing out search engine visibility and all your content writing efforts can go in vain. What matters is how you keep the keywords (search terms used by people) density on your content and a set of optimization process that you should employ on your webpages.
Following are some basic guidelines that you should follow on writing content for your webpages.
- Short list a set of keywords for your website. You can use the Google keyword tool to find out the search terms used by people.
- Pick the main keywords that you would like to target.
- For example, if you are running a resort in Bangalore, the target keywords for your site will be ‘resorts in Bangalore’, ‘Bangalore resorts’ etc.
- Use the main keyword 2 – 3 times if it’s a short content and if the content is too long use it 4 – 6 times.
- You can try different variations of the keywords.
- In order to fit into a meaningful sentence you can split up the key phrases.
- Ideally a paragraph should contain at least one of the main keywords.
- To avoid keyword repetition, and better readability, use synonyms of the main keywords.
- Also it’s highly recommended to use text instead of images to display important names, content, or links on a webpage as Search Engines will not read the text in graphics.
Following are some key on page locations where you can use the keywords.
H1 tag is the main headings of your content. The main targeted keyword/phrase of the page needs to be included on the main heading of your content. Keywords with decreasing relevance can be put along H2, H3, H4 tags respectively. If we are providing multiple topics on a page we can use keyworded header tags for each topic.
For example, if we have a webpage mentioning beach resorts and spa resorts, we can use two different header tags like ‘beach resorts in Bangalore’ and ‘spa resorts in Bangalore’ for respective content. It would be better if we could use the subject of content as its header tag.
Image file name:
The same keywords/phrase need to be used as the name of the image file used on the page.
You can use Italic, Bold or Strong tags for the targeted keywords at least once in a paragraph.
Preferably the important keywords/phrases of a page should be used in the first few words (50-100) of the page content.
Alternative text tags should be used for the image/photo/illustrations on the content. Ideally we should provide an image or illustration on every page going with the keywords.
Along with these you should consult an SEO specialist to take care of the off page optimization process. Also you are not going to get over night placements for your target keywords since there are plenty of content available in the World Wide Web on similar topics. It takes some dedicated and disciplined effort from your SEO team to deliver the results and normally it takes 4 to 6 months to get your site ranked in search engines.